Gaming applications along with Social Media Apps or texting are responsible for cell phone addictions everywhere. Candy Crush Saga, in particular, is especially addicting as I can attest to first hand. I discovered the game after returning home from Afghanistan in 2013, soon after that, I introduced the game to my wife. For my family, that was all she wrote, no one else in my household was able to place Candy Crush on their own Apple devices anymore. That’s right! We no longer are allowed to play Candy Crush on our own Apple devices. The game is designed for people ages 4 years old and older. Basically, to explain the game much like others it’s a spin-off of the old game Tetris. The goal of the game is to match candy into a variety of patterns in order to clear a particular task like a certain score, a number of candies, a number of jellies cleared or a combination of certain tasks. It is developed and published by King Digital Entertainment PLC, it originated in 2011 (Candy Crush), later modified to its current state in 2012 (Candy Crush Saga). Facebook, had this game developer to create the Saga edition in April of 2012 (contributors, 2018). Here are a few screenshots of Candy Crush Saga.

Figure 1. Candy Crush Saga Screenshot 1

Figure 2. Candy Crush Saga Screenshot 2

For its purpose of digital entertainment, Candy Crush Saga is designed very well. Most would consider the typical 5 lives for the game to be a limitation, but nowadays with extremely talented coders who love this game, there are available game hacks which gives you unlimited lives or even unlimited access to some of the games special features. The game today is not accessible to blind people, in my research, there were some who have approached the topic of accessibility, but with no response on record.

There is nothing of real value one could learn from the application, but the exercise of thinking critically or creatively are two features the game challenges mentally. This actually serves a purpose just like crossword puzzles or jigsaw puzzles are used to keep elderly people’s minds sharp. There are not any learning theories or design models that I can associate with this game.

We have reviewed the Candy Crush Saga application from an introductory viewpoint, the critical eye of an Instructional Design professional, and from a standpoint of design, learning value, and even accessibility. I hope you have enjoyed my BLOG, until the next time, thanks for reading.